This tutorial will walk you through the steps to processing a payment in TrustBooks.
1. Start on the Dashboard Page.
2. Click the Process Payment link under the Payments And Deposits section.
The Payment page is displayed.
3. Select the Matter associated with this payment.
Once you select the Matter, the Current Balance for this Matter is displayed.
Note: TrustBooks displays the Current Balance to provide a visual of the available funds for this specific Client/Matter. Attorneys are not allowed to bring a Client/Matter balance into the negative. By displaying the available balance, you can quickly see how much funds are held in trust for this Matter and make sure payment does not exceed this amount.
4. Enter Amount. This is the amount of the payment.
Note: You will not be able to Save an amount that exceeds the Current Balance. This feature helps prevent users from overdrawing the available funds for a specific Matter.
5. Enter the Number. This is the transaction number associated with this payment.
For example, if payment is made by check, this would be the check number.
6. Select the Date. This is the date payment is made.
7. Click on Select Payee in the Pay to the Order of field.
Once you create a Payee, the information is stored in TrustBooks. You will be able to select the Payee from the drop down box.
8. Enter a Purpose/Description into the Memo Line. This field requires a purpose or description of the payment.
Note: This feature helps users stay in compliance with State Bars that require the Client Name and Purpose/Description be displayed on the Memo line of all payments.
9. Select payment to be printed (OPTIONAL).
TrustBooks allows you to print checks directly from the software to blank check stock. If you plan to print this payment, select the Print Check box. If you are not printing the check then you can ignore step 9.
Note: TrustBooks supports Intuit QuickBooks compatible laser voucher check stock with a single check per page at the top of the page.
10. Save all changes. You have two options:
Save – information will be saved and you will be redirected to the Dashboard page.
Save & Enter Payment – information will be saved and you have a shortcut option to go directly to the Payment page to enter the next payment.